Saturday 9 August 2008

KDE hidden files and missing disk space

Ever wonder where all your disk space is going? You're not the only one.

Lately I've been looking at why my home directory is so large.

I would expect my home folder to take up a fair bit of space, as between my email archives, family photos, source code and documents I've got a fair collection of stuff, but somehow the amount of space used didn't add up.

Having a hunt through the system brought up the .thumbnails directory which is used by KDE to cache thumbnail images - and contains a lot more than I expected. . . . .

du --si .thumbnails

4.1k .thumbnails/fail/gnome-thumbnail-factory
4.1k .thumbnails/fail/gimp-2.2
8.2k .thumbnails/fail
552M .thumbnails/large
2.6G .thumbnails/normal
3.2G .thumbnails

Yes, that's right, over the years I've built up 3.2G of thumbnail images! It would be nice to think that the thumbnails would expire automatically after a month or two rather than building up indefinitely.

I suppose I'll have to remember to run the following every so often:

rm -rf .thumbnails

No comments: